Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The snowfall of 2009

On Saturday, December 18 Th, 2009, our neighborhood  got hammered with a massive snowstorm.  Approximately 22 inches of snow accumulated in my hometown. Now, I have to admit I hate snow.
However, I like the fact that a snowstorm brings out the best in neighbors.  It is refreshing to watch people who barely know each other offer a helping hand. For instance, people who are willing to help dig a neighbor's car out because a nurse  must cover his hospital shift. The willingness of one neighbor to share his snow blower with the young couple who just moved in the neighborhood. 
Perhaps what I like most is watching the children.  Their smiling faces, rosy with cold, slipping and sliding to go back up the sledding hill. And seeing big brothers and big sisters helping the younger ones along. 
I still hate snow; but memories of the  snowfall of 2009 will always bring a smile to my face.

No comments: